[Chat] Report on security meeting on Guilford Ave.

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Thu Jun 26 16:14:27 EDT 2008

Hello, neighbors,

Cheryl McDuffie sent me a report on the security meeting organized
by Dana Moore in the wake of the burglaries on the 3000 block
of Guilford.  I'd like to thank Cheryl for this detailed report.

On a lighter note: from 4:30 - 6:00 pm this afternoon (6/26),
there is a beer tasting at Lady G's (formerly Eddie's Gourmet Shoppe)
on the 3100 block of Saint Paul.  They are providing samples
of four beers from Fordham brewery of Annapolis and Dover, DE.
Think Global, Drink Local!

Thanks,

--Emil

----------------------

Northern District Officer O'Donnell met with us on Sunday, June 22nd
to discuss safety and security issues in our block.  During the
meeting, Officer O'Donnell gave us his cell phone number: 443-690-7144
and said that we could contact him at any time with any safety
concerns.  Officer O'Donnell is specifically assigned to our area and
is on patrol from 4 pm to 1 am.

Officer O'Donnell provided us with an update on the recent break-ins.
He believes they are the work of Jerome "The Fly" Owens, who is also a
neighborhood resident (but not close to our block).  The Fly was
arrested last year for burglaries in the 300 block of University
Parkway, was sentenced to 18 years, served 6 months and was released.
The police are currently looking for him.  Officer O'Donnell passed
around a photo of The Fly and asked us to call him if we see him.  The
Fly is known to be a drug user and burglarizes homes to support his
habit.  His M.O. is to enter through the 2nd and 3rd story windows
because they are usually unlocked.  As some of you are aware, he knows
how to be extremely quiet during the commission of his crimes.

We also discussed the young woman who approached several residents
last week, saying she was out of gas and needed money so she could get
home.  Officer O'Donnell stated that residents should never give money
to strangers or panhandlers.

Officer O'Donnell also stated that the police have an arrangement with
the gas stations in the area whereby stranded motorists can obtain one
gallon of gas in order to get home.  The motorist must present their
driver's license at the station and allow the attendant to copy their
information, they then will be provided with one gallon of gas, in a
can, if necessary.

He also recommended that we call the police to confront any suspicious
individuals or groups in the neighborhood.  He also gave us
information on the new Summer Curfew for children under 16.  If
children are seen on the streets after 11 pm, the police should be
called to detain them and return them to the custody of their parents.

Some residents stated a reluctance to call the police because they
were afraid of having to provide their names.  Office O'Donnell will
see that everyone listed on the meeting sign-up sheet receives a block
watchers number which will allow telephone calls to the police to be
made anonymously.

Mary Pat Clarke also attended the meeting and reiterated her concern
for the safety of our neighborhood.  Prior to the meeting, she had a
survey of the streets and alleys performed to assess the lighting
levels and need for trimming of trees and shrubbery to improve
visibility and security.  The survey results are attached to this
email.  Ms. Clarke also encouraged residents to purchase porch lights
for their homes.  Officer O'Donnell will make inquiries of local
hardware stores about the various types of porch lights available and
whether residents can purchase them at a discount.

The Citizens on Patrol program was also discussed.  Officer O'Donnell
says this program is very effective in reducing crime in the
neighborhoods.  He encouraged residents to join the program and passed
out flyers listing the weekly walks and contact information for those
wishing to participate.

Additional items discussed at the meeting included:

a) setting up a "court watch" for cases involving neighborhood
residents.  Updates on cases, as well as court dates, are posted
online through the "judicial information system".  Dana Moore is to
send out information on how to access this website in the near future.
Ms. Clarke stated that it would be helpful for a group of residents to
attend the proceedings of cases involving our neighborhood.

b) meetings held with security officials from Hopkins and Union
Memorial at the Charles Village Benefits District office on Fridays at
9 am.  Anyone interested is welcome to attend.

Cheryl