[Chat] (no subject)

Sonja Kinzer baltoplays at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 21 08:03:42 EST 2008

Hi again,

I was up a lot last night thinking about some things we could do to really send a message that this is a neighborhood that is extremely community oriented and more importantly, watchful.  I am certain that this string of crimes has come after a lot of observation.  If criminals know that there are too many people milling around, they wont commit crimes here, period.  To that end, I've come up with three suggestions that I hope will encourage us to be more proactive and give us something concrete we can do to immediately make a difference.  The first is pretty straight forward.  There is some very inexpensive signage (between $10 - $20) on eBay.  I am purchasing at least one for my back garage/fence and perhaps another for the front.  Having a simple sign that reads, "NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH AREA" is one of the simplest ways to do something now.  Police studies consistently show that crime is decreased in Watch areas.  Whether we actually do set up
 an official neighborhood watch program or not, the signs will at the very least give a criminal pause.

My second suggestion came about 3am...so bear with me!  How about we start a "clean sweep" program?  Yes, I'm actually suggesting fighting crime with a broom!  How can one do this, pray tell?  Well...first we establish a standard schedule.  Monday -8am Tues-9am, Wed 10am, Thursday 3pm Friday 4pm.  Okay...so everyone who is available on those days...those times...takes to the steps and...er...sweeps!  Hear me out!  What we need more than anything is a neighborhood with lots of visible NEIGHBORS!  Criminals will NOT stop and carjack/rob/assault when there are lots of people on the street.  We can't be parked outside our homes all day, but we can do what we can, right?  Besides, it could be a lot of fun in an old school, throw back sort of way.  It's 9am...you head out front...turn to your neighbor, give a wave and start your day...not bad.  There are many things we can do out front...sweep the stairs, sweep our dusty porches...clean those
 doors...whatever.  The point is to make it a regular thing and our grandmother's would be proud.  Will you join me for  the "Clean Sweep" challenge?  Weekends aren't a biggie.  These criminals like the weekdays.  For those of us that work 9-5...I didn't leave you out!  This brings me to my third suggestion:  Charles Village, FRONT PORCH FRIDAYS!  I thought about suggesting this closer to the Spring, but heck...why not?  Basically the idea would be that on Friday's anytime between say, 6pm-8,  we (this time of year) bundle up...take our cup of coffee/cocoa and adjourn to the front porch.  I live on the 2700 block of Guilford...maybe perhaps we invite our neighbors on the 2600 and 2800 blocks to walk over and visit.  That's the idea.  Then the next week...maybe we take a walk and visit someone else.  It could be a fun way to get to know everyone and the presence of people on the street would be terrific for crime-fighting...So there it
 is...broom combat and porch hopping...Are we interested in trying them out?  Tomorrow is Friday...and I can sweep at 4...hope you'll join me or you can just drive by and laugh:)  Either way, we're out there and doing something.  Thanks for your time,
Sonja Kinzer
2712 Guilford Avenue