[Chat] New electric car rental service

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Tue Jul 7 00:11:01 EDT 2009

Hello, neighbors,

Check out the new electric car rental service AltCar

    http://www.altcar.org/

that just started.  The principle is the same as
for a ZipCar.  The rate is $9/hour.  There's a $35/year
annual membership fee.

The vehicles are somewhat limited.  They have
a top speed of 35 mph so must stay on surface
streets.  The website does not specify range, but
I expect it would be less than 50 miles.

I'm surprised that this venture has emerged
apparently independently from the car sharing
service that the City hoped to launch:

    http://baltimorecarshare.org/  .

Now, what are the odds that we could get AltCar
to put one of these cars in Charles Village?

2009 is turning out to be a year of "firsts" for
technology in Baltimore.  We have the first
WiMax (long range wireless Internet) service,
and now the first all-electric car rental service!

Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org
http://EmilVolcheck.com/