[Chat] [Discussion] security deposits

Roderick Fry roderickpsu at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 15:17:23 EDT 2009

According to the Maryland Attorney General's Office you must pay 3 percent.
Of course, you aren't going to get 3% out of a savings account or a CD
nowadays, but the law has not caught up with the current economy.

http://www.oag.state.md.us/Consumer/landlords.htm#deposits

   - The landlord must put the security deposit in an escrow account. When
   returning security deposits of $50 or more, the landlord must include simple
   interest of 3 percent per year, accrued at six-month intervals from the date
   the security deposit was paid (1.5 percent every six-month period).

Good luck,

Rod