[Chat] Workshops Aug. 1 & 2 on Forest Gardens, Animals and Aquaculture (Ideas for Urban Gardners too)

Crystal charlesvillager2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 31 07:25:21 EDT 2009

Hi!  I'll be in (northern) Baltimore County just briefly this weekend for the workshops described below. Sorry that I didn't have time to spread the word earlier!  There's another worskshop coming up Aug. 15 & 16 on natural building, see http://www.heathcote.org/cob.shtml for details.

See you there?

:)

Crystal

PERMACULTURE WORKSHOPS 2009

LOGISTICAL INFORMATION

We have outlined important logistical information below.  Please contact Karen Stupski at <karen at heathcote.org> or 410-357-9523 if you have further questions.

UPCOMING WORKSHOP DATES AND TOPICS

Forest Gardens
Saturday, August 1, 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Understand how to create perennial, multifunctional bits of paradise where everything gardens. From porches and lawns to fields and forests, learn how to use edges to plant guilds that nourish each other, meet real needs, and save human labor. Plant a peach guild with us using this Edge Patterning technology!

Animals and Aquaculture
Sunday, August 2, 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
Learn about designing and managing edges to serve everyone's needs and minimize labor on land and in water. From rotational grazing to human and wildlife forage--whether backyards, fields and forests or bathtubs, tanks, streams, ponds or artificial wetlands, integrate functionally-collaborative species for food, fibre and medicinals.

SCHEDULE

Class hours are 8:30 AM - 3:30 PM (includes a lunch break).  We request that you be ready to start on time and help us stay within our planned schedule. We recommend that you plan to arrive by 8:15 am to give yourself time to settle in.  We have structured the workshop to include a mix of lecture, participatory exercises, discussion, and hands-on projects.  We encourage student participation during class sessions and we also request that you speak to the instructors outside of class time if you have questions or concerns that might take us off topic.

WHAT TO WEAR

We will spend at least part of each day outside, so you should dress appropriately for the weather. In addition, we will be doing physical work projects so we recommend bringing clothes that can get dirty, sturdy boots, and work gloves.

WHAT TO BRING:

TO EVERY CLASS:

Vegetarian lunch or potluck food too share
drinks
snacks to share (optional)
notebooks & pens & pencils
appropriate clothing for being outside in the weather and doing hands-on projects
rain gear (poncho & waterproof footwear) if needed
boots or sturdy shoes
work gloves
hat for the sun (if needed)
sun block/screen (if needed)

IF STAYING OVERNIGHT AT HEATHCOTE:

sleeping bag or bedding
pillow and pillow case
toiletries & towel
flashlight & batteries
slippers and shower shoes
musical instruments (optional)
tent and ground cloth (if camping)

THE HOST SITE:  HEATHCOTE COMMUNITY

We are 12 adults and 4 children living cooperatively on 110 wooded acres in northern Baltimore County, Maryland. Our diet is organic and vegetarian. We practice conflict resolution and consensus decisionmaking.  We have several organic vegetable, herb, and flower gardens; hiking trails; and stream-side hammocks. Our historic mill houses our Conference Center, where we conduct retreats, workshops, and House Concerts.  We are currently building a new strawbale house.  This new residence features many aspects of green design and natural building, including strawbale, cob, natural plasters, natural paint, an earthen floor, a masonry stove, and passive solar heating.  For more information see our website at www.heathcote.org.

LODGING

Students are responsible for providing their own lodging.  You are invited to stay at Heathcote Community any night. Our rates are $10 per night for camping, $15 per night for our unheated bunk room, and $20 per night for a private room (limited number available).  The accommodations are rustic yet comfortable.  We ask that you bring your own bedding, but if that is not possible Heathcote can provide a pillow, sleeping bag, sheets and/or blankets.  Students who stay at Heathcote will have the opportunity to utilize Heathcote’s permaculture library.  To make arrangements to stay at Heathcote please complete the attached Food and Lodging Reservation Form and return to education at heathcote.org.

Local offsite lodging is available at the following establishments:

Hampton Inn
1000 Far Hills Drive
New Freedom, PA  17349
717-235-9898
www.hamptoninn.com

Jackson House Bed and Breakfast
6 E. Main Street
Railroad, PA 17355
Telephone: 717-227-2022 Toll Free 1-877-782-4672
E-Mail: Jacksonhousebnb at JacksonHouseBandB

FOOD

Heathcote is a mostly vegetarian facility.  Community meals always include a vegan option, although some dishes may include eggs and dairy.  Some canned fish is available in the pantry for those who eat it.  We are asking everyone to bring their own vegetarian bag lunches during the workshops or potluck food to share for lunch.  We also encourage you to bring snacks and drinks.  All of you are welcome to stay for dinner on Saturday evenings.  If you come for dinner we ask that you bring a potluck dish or pay $10.  Those who are lodging at Heathcote may also have breakfasts here for $5 each.  Please sign up for dinners and breakfasts in advance and let us know if you have any special food needs so we make sure that there is food available for you to eat.  To sign up for meals, please complete the attached Food and Lodging Reservation Form and return to education at heathcote.org.

TRANSPORTATION

Students are responsible for providing their own transportation.   However, we do encourage carpooling.  Some public transportation is available.  There is light rail service to Hunt Valley, which is only a 20 minute drive to Heathcote.  There is also a new bus service from Hunt Valley to Shrewsbury, which is only a 7 minute drive from Heathcote.  Contact us if you would like more info about public transportation or need help arranging a ride.

DIRECTIONS TO HEATHCOTE COMMUNITY

Address:
21300 Heathcote Rd., Freeland, MD  21053

Directions from Baltimore:  (About a 45 minute drive from Baltimore)
Take I-83 north to exit 36 for Maryland Line.
Turn right at the end of the exit ramp.  Go a couple hundred yards to a stop sign.
Turn right onto Rt. 45 north (York Rd.)  Go 1 mile to a traffic light.
Turn left at the light onto Freeland Rd.  Go about ½ mile, then down a steep hill.
Turn left onto Heathcote Rd. Go to the end of the paved road and park.
You will see our historic mill on the right.
Come in the door under the “Heathcote Community” sign.

Directions from Washington DC: (About a 1 ½ to 2 hour drive depending on traffic)
Take 95 north towards Baltimore.
Take the left exit for 695 west towards Towson
Take the exit for I-83 north.
Follow directions from Baltimore above.

>From York, PA:  (About a 20-30 minute drive)
Take I-83 south to the first exit in Maryland (Freeland Rd.)  Go west (right) on Freeland Rd, thru the traffice light. Go about ½ a mile, down a steep hill and turn left onto Heathcote Rd.  Go to the end of the paved road and park.

Our phone number is 410-343-3478 if you have any questions about these directions.  You can also contact Karen at 410-357-9523.