[Chat] air conditioning

Kathleen Wilsbach kwilsbach at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 12 00:22:17 EDT 2009

Emil and I had central air installed in 2000 by Mann's Mechanical.
I think it was around $10,000 including the drywalling to cover
the duct work.  We only have visible duct work on the second
floor.  The condenser is on the roof.  BGE gave us a much lower
estimate but they insisted the condenser had to go in the backyard.
Trying to pump cold air up to the third floor is fighting the laws
of physics.  I've heard from several other people who did it that
way that the third floor is never really cool.  If the cold air
starts on the third floor then it naturally tends to fall to the first
floor.  We had another higher estimate for a split system but
it turns out that really isn't necessary.  Oh, and we put the air
handler in one of the third floor closets.  Getting the unit in their
was a very tight squeeze.

We had someone come in to talk to us about high pressure systems with
smaller ducts but he said there wasn't enough space between the
third floor ceiling and the attic to make that possible.  We live
in the 3000 block of Guilford.

-Kathleen