[Chat] air conditioning

Kathleen Hruska kshruska at mac.com
Fri Jun 12 17:54:40 EDT 2009

I only have a two-story-with-basement house (Abell), but I just installed central air with vents only on the second floor.  As mentioned by other chat members, the cold air travels downstairs quite nicely.  Both my condenser and air handler are on the roof; it's a combined unit and high-efficiency.

One code issue is that if you want to have the unit on the roof, you have to have permanent access to the roof from the interior.  I have a trap door in my back bedroom, but if you don't have this, you will have to calculate that into your final costs.

I've done some other renovation work at the same time (as Josh can attest, hearing jackhammers!), so I'd have to check my line items in my contract to remember the cost.  I''m happy to do so, if it would be helpful.

Kathleen Hruska