[Chat] [Discussion] More... RE: trash and rats

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Sat Mar 21 12:05:03 EDT 2009

Gary,

Unfortunately, the meeting Tuesday at Eastern High School conflicts with
the CVCBD public meeting on the budget.  And if you are concerned about
rats, be aware that on non-gateway streets (that includes all of Abell),
CVCBD is only committing itself to pick up trash from its trash cans
once a week.  David Hill will say orally that he will  pick up the trash
more often, but so far CVCBD will not commit in writing to doing so.
That means that trash may accumulate in the cans and may attract rats.

Also, be aware that CVCBD proposes to abolish its safety program.  There
will be one full time position for a safety education coordinator who
will run Citizens on Patrol and will come to your house upon request to
tell you what you need to do to make  your house more secure (that is a
service that Northern District already offers and that few utilize).
The position is at best a half time position in terms of the work
required, but CVCBD proposes that it be full time.  And that will be the
entirety of the safety program, even though Sandy Sparks and her gang at
Greater Homewood in 1994 used $30,000 of City tax money to put out
propaganda promising us that we would have a total of 12 safety people
patrolling 24/7 if we would only vote for CVCBD in the referendum.  So
now, what was promised us will be no more.  It is a classic bait and
switch (and Sandy Sparks has spoken in support of dropping the safety
program).

You can let Mary Pat Clark know of your concerns about the new City one
plus one trash plan.  The City does plan to provide every household with
a 65 gallon trash can (with the likelihood that use of those cans will
make it much harder for rats to get food from trash), so our old trash
cans can then be recycled.  And the City will have to modify its trash
trucks to handle the new trash cans.  In the long run, the once a week
trash pickup plus once a week recycling pick up should save the City
money, especially if people recycle more.

Another part of the plan is for pickups to be Tuesday through Friday,
with special pickups on Saturday whenever trash has not been picked up
because of a holiday.

Also, it would become legal to put trash out in the alley or on a
sidewalk after 8 p.m. the night before a scheduled pickup (that is now
illegal before midnight).  The one defect, and I have informed Mary Pat
of it and she has promised that it will be fixed, is that the bill
requires (as present law requires) that the trash can be removed from
the alley or sidewalk immediately after the pickup.  Obviously, people
who work during the day cannot comply with the current and proposed
ordinance, so it needs to be fixed.

In my own view, it is a good plan.  It will save money, and it will
reduce the rat population once the new trash cans are distributed.

I do not know whether the Sisson Street transfer station will continue
to be open 6 days per week.  I hope that it will.

Steve.