[Chat] Nanny-Share anyone?

kesslerlt at aol.com kesslerlt at aol.com
Tue May 5 12:14:06 EDT 2009

Hi, friends and neighbors --

Matthew and I?(3001 Abell) have a fabulous nanny, Summer Harrington, who has been helping to take care of our daughter, Rachel (5 y.o.) for about a year.? She is from Salt Lake City, where?Rachel and I have been living (I?work for the Univ. of Utah - that's a complicated story for another day).?In any case, we will be back in Baltimore full-time starting mid-June, and Summer is exploring the possibility of coming with us. She wants to see another part of the country and explore new horizons.

We would employ?her about 20 hours per week, after school?and?early evenings, plus perhaps a couple Saturday afternoons or nights?per month.? It would work best if we can find two other things:

1) Somewhere for her to live nearby, like a room in somebody's house, since our house is not really set up for that right now.

2) Another family that would want to employ her 20 hours/wk, perhaps partly in exchange for room and board.

About?Summer: She is 25, has a college degree in early childhood education, and has tons of experience caring for children. She is responsible, reliable, kind, smart, patient, and creative. Rachel completely adores her. We currently pay her $13.00 per hour, plus both our and her portion of social security.? I am not familiar with the market in Baltimore, but?we anticipate paying her slightly more there.

If anyone is possibly?interested in this, or maybe do you know somebody who might be -- in either part 1 or part 2 --?please let us know.? It would be a perfect situation for a family with young children who needs part-time care during work hours.

I don't know if this will work or not, but she's interested, and we love her, so we want to explore it.? Thanks for your help!

-Laura (and Matthew and Rachel)