[Chat] More on green vehicles in Baltimore

Kevin Zeese kzeese at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 10 17:25:49 EDT 2009

Forward to people you think might be interested

Below is a nice article from Baltimore Style about GreenRider, based in
Fells Point.  This is the shop that sells electric scooters and now,
electric bikes - an inexpensive and environmentally friendly alternative to
cars.

Two things worth noting:

1. GreenRider is having a Labor Day sale through this Sunday.

2.  They've introduced an even less expensive option (under $1,000), an
electric Umbrella Bike that folds up and can be easily taken on the train,
light rail or subway.

For more information see http://www.greenriderusa.com

KZ

http://www.baltimorestyle.com/index.php/style/sarah_gilbert_fox/our_second_c
ar_alternative/

(To see photos go to link above)

Town Talk

Our Second Car Alternative

Not long ago I was visiting a new yogurt shop in Fells Point,
<http://www.baltimorestyle.com/index.php/style/sarah_gilbert_fox/mr._yogato_
has_touched_down_in_baltimore/> Mr. Yogato (at 35 calories a cold, yummy
serving), and failed to notice a new, neighboring store, Green Rider.
However, my colleague, Laura Wexler
<http://www.baltimorestyle.com/index.php/style/laura_wexler/> , came by my
desk the next day to tell me her husband had become quite excited over the
idea of purchasing one of the new Low-Speed Electric Vehicles (LEVs) that
were sold there.

What the heck was I going to do with a, um, scooter? That was my first
thought. The second reaction came from our eleven year old daughter, when I
told her how "green" the scooters were supposed to be. She went into
paroxysms. "No, Mommy, no! You can never get a motorcycle!" After having
told her horror stories about drugs, alcohol and motorcycles, I was glad to
see that at least one of the warnings had stuck. "Calm down. I would never
get on a motorcycle, Jenkins."

Three months later I found we were in need of another car, so we did what
most people would do-we hit the car dealerships. Only-one thing kept gnawing
at me. Did we really need a second car, when, for the most part, I'd only be
using it to get to the Light Rail? I'm a big fan of the
<http://www.baltimorestyle.com/index.php/style/sarah_gilbert_fox/taking_the_
baltimore_light_rail_for_the_first_time/> Baltimore Light Rail, because I'm
a huge proponent for working on a better environment (and saving money. and
not being stuck in traffic jams. and having an extra 20 minutes to read
without everyone wanting something from me. etc.).

So, after giving it much thought, we headed down this Saturday to have
brunch at  <http://www.kalismezze.com/> Kali's Mezze on 1606 Thames St.
(they have the most delicious omelets in town-and at an exquisite cost), and
for some Mr.  <http://www.mryogato-fellspoint.com/> Yogato yogurt. Then we
headed in to purchase a  <http://www.greenriderusa.com/> Green Rider
Motorino Electric Scooter.

The pros:

*	no gas (saving me at least $10,000 a year!)
*	no insurance (another big, monthly savings)
*	no license registration (although you have to have a driver's
license to drive one)
*	no tags or inspection (hello!)
*	no parking costs (they can park on a sidewalk-just like a bike)
*	can be driven on a non-highway road, just like a car
*	a 10% tax credit
*	the costs is between $2000 and $2300 (or approx. $125 a month for 2
years)
*	not at all noisy (thereby cutting down on noise pollution)
*	range of about 30 miles on single battery & 50+ miles with duel
battery
*	they're cool as heck! (We bought a yellow and black XPh)

The cons-not many:

*	highest speed is 30 miles an hour (average off-highway speeds)
*	this isn't Europe, e.g., less people on motor scooters means less
car drivers are on the lookout

The extras:

*	you will need to pony up for a helmet or two (in case you have a
rider)
*	you will need a chain lock
*	you'll probably want a tarp to put over it for rainy days
*	you'll most likely want an extra little lock box to hold other items
than your helmet
*	i.e., do factor in another $200 bucks, give or take, to the price to
cover the above.

For those who want to try before they buy, owner, Ray Carrier rents the LEVs
($25 for two hours; $10 each additional hour; or $50 for the day). He also
sells Pedego Electric and Electric folding bikes (called "umbrella" bikes).

It only took a few minutes for us to make the decision to purchase our new
Green Rider scooter. It might take a few months to make sure our daughter
understands the difference between getting on a motorcycle that can hit the
highway, hard, versus a scooter that's used for environmental purposes. Yes,
there are still danger issues, but we'll teach her these important facts
about our electric scooter: we can't go over 30 miles an hour; we are
faithful helmet wearers; we don't plan on going on any big roads; we'll
watch all driveways and intersections-as well, as the front tires of the
cars in front of us-at all times.  In other words, we'll make safety our
priority-as it should be when driving anything motorized. Plus, we'll save
the big rides for the Light Rail.

Green Rider

714 S. Broadway St.

(410) 522-5857