[Chat] Aldi store has good prices

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Thu Apr 15 14:28:23 EDT 2010

Judy,

If you believe that we should not shop at foreign owned supermarkets,
then you will not shop at Giant.

Giant was founded by a kosher butcher named Isidore Cohen who lived
somewhere in the DC/Baltimore area, but before he died, he sold Giant to
Royal Ahold which is a Dutch Company.  After that, in my opinion, Giant
went downhill.  I have been told that Stop & Shop, a chain in
Massachusetts also acquired by Royal Ahold and now part of the same
division of Royal Ahold as Giant, has also gone downhill in quality of
service to customers.

A few years ago, Royal Ahold was caught cooking its books i.e.
pretending to be more profitable than it was.  That involved stores in
South America, not in the U.S.

Personally, I will continue to shop at Giant for the things that I
cannot readily get at the farmers' market.  But I tend to buy a lot at
Whole Foods (expensive often, I know, but worth it to me for the quality
and for products that cannot be found at Giant or Eddie's, and Whole
Foods is an American company), and I often go 3 blocks to Eddie's rather
than 6 blocks to Giant.

Safeway pulled completely out of Baltimore City some years ago, then
moved back into the City when it opened its store in Charles Village.
My impression is that its prices are higher than those at Giant.  As
much as I hate Walmart, I expect it to have a good effect on prices at
Safeway.  Giant reportedly lowered its prices because too many of its
customers were driving to a Walmart.

Steve.