[Chat] Chat Digest, Vol 86, Issue 6

macnmum at gmail.com macnmum at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 15:47:26 EDT 2010

Judy:  There are lots of things you can do with your excess peaches to use
them later in the year, but preserving them in their "natural" state isn't
one of them.  As someone else answered, the cell structure won't hold up to
home freezing.  But somethings you can do:

Peel and slice them and freeze the pieces for use as a puree or in
smoothies, for example, where you'll still get the nice fresh taste and
nutrients, but the mushy texture won't matter.

Can them now in a simple syrup (sugar and water) with flavorings such as
vanilla, bourbon or brandy to use with ice cream as a great dessert this
winter.

Make peach butter (like apple butter, but with peaches)....cook them, spice
them with cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. and can them for a spread all year -round.

Make peach jam (similar to above, but without the spices and with the
possible addition of some pectin to make a more jelly-like consistency).

Dry them using a food dehydrator or your oven.

Make peach chutney and freeze or can it.

I've never been lucky enough to have a peach tree, but I used to do all of
the above with bushel baskets of peaches from the farmers' market.  It's
really not hard and it's so nice to have come winter.

Melissa