[Chat] Christmas Tree Pickup?

slg2700 at cs.com slg2700 at cs.com
Wed Jan 13 20:21:49 EST 2010

Dear Neighbors:

By now some of you may have noticed that DPW did not keep its promise (See
their Press Release below from 12/18) and did not pick up the Christmas
trees with the regular trash pickup on Tuesday. Matt Bradby at CVCBD (Benefits
District) reports that he spoke to Valentina Ukwoma, Bureau Head for Solid
Waste, who told him to tell residents to call 311 and get a complaint number
if their tree was not picked up as promised on their regular trash day. That
way there is a public record of the problem which will result in better
accountability. This will result in the trees being picked up in the next day or
two. If not, call back using the complaint number you received the first
time.

I have sent an email to David Scott, Director of DPW, asking him to address
the problem and explain why it happened. I will share his response when I
receive it. I will be asking the CVCBD to assist with this problem.

For those of you with Wednesday regular trash days: Did the sanitation
workers pick up the Christmas trees?

I am also concerned about how the DPW handled trash pickup after the snow
storm when most of the alleys were actually passable and they did not even
check before leaving the trash behind. Trash was left in alleys that were
actually plowed and some trash was picked up in alleys that were not plowed. No
rhyme or reason to what happened. I do not understand why they do not put a
shovel on the front of a pickup truck and do the alleys. But I want to get
this tree problem resolved before going into that issue. Again, I will be
looking for CVCBD's help in resolving this issue.

Your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Sharon L. Guida, CVCA Sanitation Committee
2746 Maryland Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21218
410-889-0436 (home)
410-467-4409 (work)
410-467-4410 (work fax)
410-960-1139 (cell)
SLG2700 at cs.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Friday, December 18, 2009

NOTICE

CHRISTMAS TREE PICKUP AND MULCHING

Department of Public Works Director, David E. Scott, today announced this
season’s schedule for Christmas tree recycling.

DPW will provide Christmas tree mulching every Saturday during the month of
January 2010, at the Citizen Drop-off Center, 701 Reedbird Avenue from 9
a.m. until 5 p.m. Residents should bring their own bags or containers if they
want to bring back mulch for their own use. While supplies last, community
groups are encouraged to come by during this time to also bag up free mulch
for neighborhood gardens.

For residents who cannot bring their trees for mulching, the Bureau of
Solid Waste will offer curbside tree collection from Tuesday, January 5, 2010
through Friday, January 29, 2010. Residents should set out trees on their
trash collection day at the location where their trash is picked up. All tinsel
and ornaments should be removed from the trees before they are set out for
curbside collection or mulching.
For additional information, please call 311.

Contact:
Celeste Amato Robert Murrow
Telephone: 410-545-6541 Telephone: 410-545-6189
email: Celeste.Amato at baltimorecity.gov email:
Robert.Murrow at baltimorecity.gov