[Chat] FW: Notification from the Baltimore City Health Department

Christine Gray langwidge at comcast.net
Tue Mar 2 18:45:39 EST 2010

This is the first I've heard of this new law.


Just out of curiosity, please tell me how others have heard about it.






-----Original Message-----
From: TheNixleTeam at emails.nixle.com [mailto:TheNixleTeam at emails.nixle.com] 
Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2010 2:10 PM
To: Christine Gray
Subject: Notification from the Baltimore City Health Department


Hi Christine Gray,


Advisory Message has been issued by the Baltimore City Health Department.


Tuesday March 2, 2010 13:59 PM EST 



A new City law requires carbon monoxide detectors in residences. Is your
family protected? http://bit.ly/bJciXQ


Health Department, Fire Department and Johns Hopkins Center for Injury
Research and Policy Announce Start of CO Detector Ordinance


BALTIMORE, MD (February 23, 2010) - Beginning on March 1, Baltimore City
will require carbon monoxide (CO) detectors to be installed in residential
dwellings, hotels and buildings used for living or sleeping. Today,
Baltimore City Health and Fire officials joined with The Johns Hopkins
Center for Injury Research and Policy (CIRP), based at the Bloomberg School
of Public Health, to warn residents of the health dangers of CO poisoning,
to share prevention tips and to urge compliance with the new law. Since
2000, more than 25 people have died in Baltimore City as a result of CO


"Studies have shown that cities with CO detector ordinances have lower
reported case fatality rates than in cities without ordinances. We thank the
city council for passing this important ordinance requiring CO detectors
installed in all city dwellings, helping us keep our families safe," said
Interim City Health Commissioner Olivia Farrow.


City Councilman James Kraft (District 1) sponsored the ordinance, which
requires the installation and maintenance of carbon monoxide alarms in all
new and existing residential dwellings, hotels, motels, boarding or rooming
houses, or other structures where people live or sleep. The law applies to
dwellings that use gas- or fossil fuel-burning furnaces or appliances.
Residents should take care to follow manufacturer specifications when
installing a new alarm to ensure effective protection.


"I cannot emphasize enough how prevention is essential. All poisonings from
CO are easily preventable with CO detectors, and this ordinance is therefore
designed to save lives," the councilman said. The ordinance follows the
February 13th sickening of six passengers on a cruise ship docked in


Because CO is odorless and colorless, safeguards such as home CO detectors
are essential in detecting leaks before they cause symptoms. Mild CO
poisoning can cause nausea, headaches or shortness of breath; prolonged
exposure to CO can cause dizziness, confusion, severe headaches, severe
nausea, faintness, and death if treatment is not sought. Malfunctioning
furnaces and other appliances that burn fuels are common culprits of home CO
leaks. From 2008 through 2009, the Baltimore City Fire Department responded
to more than 3,600 CO poisoning calls.


"Like many injuries that occur in the home, CO poisoning can be prevented.
By installing a CO alarm in the hallway near every separate sleeping area of
their home, people can keep themselves safe," said Eileen McDonald, director
of The Johns Hopkins Children's Safety Centers, which are run by CIRP.


To speed the conversion of city homes into safer residences, Kidde, a
leading manufacturer of residential fire safety products, has donated 250
free CO alarms that will be distributed to City residents who demonstrate
financial need. The devices will be available on a first-come, first-serve
basis at Johns Hopkins Children's Safety, located inside Children's
Admitting at the Johns Hopkins Children's Center. The center is open Monday
- Friday from 11:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.; the phone number is (410) 614-5587.


# # #


For full details, go to http://local.nixle.com/alert/1356418/


Contact Information:


Brian Schleter




443-984-2623      brian.schleter at baltimorecity.gov



To manage your text and email settings, please log into your

account at http://local.nixle.com/accounts/login/.


powered by nixle. Copyright C 2010 Nixle, LLC. All rights reserved.




-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://charlesvillage.info/pipermail/chat_charlesvillage.info/attachments/20100302/a68bec14/attachment.html>

More information about the Chat mailing list