[Chat] Suspicious activity

Linda Forlifer LEF at press.jhu.edu
Wed Apr 20 12:18:15 EDT 2011

>From the BGE website:

BGE cautions customers to be mindful of individuals who try to gain
access to their homes by posing as utility workers. Utility imposters
may carry "official" looking credentials and often work in pairs.

BGE recommends customers take the following steps to ensure their
safety against imposters:

    Do not open your door to someone you don't recognize – ask for a
photo ID through the door / window. All BGE employees and contractors
carry company ID badges displaying their name, photograph and
identification number. To verify a BGE employee's identity or work being
done at your home, call us at 410-685-0123 or 1-800-685-0123. Operators
are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
    Report suspicious activity to the police. Customers who encounter
suspected utility imposters are urged to immediately notify the police.

>>> Stephen J Gewirtz <gewirtz at bellatlantic.net> 4/20/2011 12:01 PM

Judy,

These folk did ask to see my BGE bill.  I remember the situation about
year ago, and someone came to my door then.  What made me really
suspicious this time was the accompanying behavior (ringing my bell,
saying they had the wrong person, then still being there a few minutes

later when I decided to take another look, and only then trying to sell

me on changing electric companies).  This made me suspect that they
were
mimicking the earlier door to door solicitations as a way to try to get

me to open my security door.

By the way, this incident made me extremely glad to have a security
door.  It functions as a storm / screen door, but it provides a barrier

when I want to answer the door without being vulnerable to an intended

home invasion.  Such doors are not cheap, but they are well worth the
money.

Steve