[Chat] prop tax

Joshua Fruhlinger jfruh at jfruh.com
Fri Jul 8 14:13:58 EDT 2011

If you're getting a homestead tax credit, your tax can only go up a little bit every year (I think 3 percent) as long as you stay in your home.  But it will go up that amount until it hits the amount you'd pay without the credit.  After the housing bubble in the mid-'00s a lot of property's assessed values went up so fast that people with the tax credit never caught up.

For instance:

Say in 2006 the assessment of your house doubled from 100K to 200K.  Your theoretical tax would go from $2,268 to $4,356. But because of the homestead tax credit, your actual tax can't go up more than 3 percent a year.  So in 2006 you'd owe $2,336, in '08 $2,406, and in '09 $2,478.

Then in 2009 they reassess your value down, from 200K to 150K.  Now your theoretical tax drops from $4,356 to $3,402.  But because of the homestead tax, you aren't paying anywhere near even that reduced amount.  So the tax you actually pay in practice in 2010 is still a three precent increase -- $2,552. Your actual tax bill would only go down if your house lost a lot more value -- if it were assessed at less than $112,500 or so, with these numbers.

jf