[Chat] prop tax

Jonathan Wetmiller jwetmiller at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 15:31:59 EDT 2011

This blog post explains the situation pretty well:

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/business/realestate/blog/2011/07/propertytax_bill_rising_heres_one_reason_why.html

As it explains, if you look at your tax bill, start with the line that says City Tax and subtract the city assessment credit value from that amount. Multiply the result by 100, and then divide it by 2.268.  That's the amount you're actually paying taxes on.  I'd be willing to bet that it's less than $116,000 in your case if you've lived in your house for a while.

Property values went up by such a large degree during the credit bubble that it's going to take a long time for taxes to catch up, even with the recently lower assessments, since the tax can only rise by 4% per year with the homestead tax credit.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the credit done away with in favor of a much lower property tax rate for everyone.

Jon