[Chat] man turns plastic back to oil

chad abrams abramschad at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 11:49:10 EDT 2011

Thanks for sharing

This is the first i've seen of a portable machine of this type.  The
technology for this type of conversion has been around for years-- the
challenge has been making it economically and/or environmentally feasible
(eg is the energy used to generate the heat/electricity worth the energy
exchange of the oil produced)

There are other examples...
http://www.mindfully.org/Energy/2003/Anything-Into-Oil1may03.htm  (turkey
guts/waste into oil on a larger scale).

I have been driving diesels since 1998 and have been an advocate of
bio-fuels (or alternative to ground-based-oil extraction) for years.  There
are challenges w/ bio (plant based) fuels as we can't possibly grow enough
fuel to meet our needs and there is concern that diverting food matter into
energy production drives up food prices and disproportionately affects
poor/developing economies.  Having said that.. technology is emerging/being
developed so that we can attempt to convert any biomass  (the stalk of the
corn plant and not just the ear of corn we typically eat--).  Additionally,
ideas such as those presented in the video below (mining the garbage dump to
convert waste into oil) provide incredible opportunity.

thank you for sharing

Chad