[Chat] [Discussion] taxes

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Wed Apr 25 15:18:21 EDT 2012

Judy,

I do not know anything about how the homeowners tax credit works.  It is
for families with low incomes, and I think that you have to apply each
year.  I do know that if you get the homeowners tax credit, the State
reimburses the City and CVCBD for the amount of your credit.

As to the homestead tax credit, you were approved 4/16/2012.  To check,
go to http://sdatcert3.resiusa.org/rp_rewrite/ , use the pull down menu
to get BALTIMORE CITY, click on Street Address, and put in your
address.  Note that you should put in the bare minimum for your street,
i.e. North Calvert Street should be typed in as calvert (it makes no
difference whether you use upper or lower case or a mix), and East 30th
Street should be typed as 30th.  At the very bottom of the page for your
property, it will show your Homestead Application Status.

As far as I know, nothing is sent out about whether your homestead tax
credit is approved, but as noted above, it is easy to check it online.

As I understand it from what appeared in the Sun, if you got the
homestead tax credit on your bill last July, you will get it on your
bill this coming July.  But if you have not applied by the end of
December, you will not get the homestead tax credit in July, 2013,

Note too that we will all be reassessed in December, 2013.  I have no
idea whether assessments will go up or down then.  But because of the
homestead tax credit, most of us are paying a lot less than we would if
we paid the full tax on our assessments.  Our effective assessments are
based on the fact that in December, 2004, we had very low assessments
compared to the assessments since then.  Starting with those low
assessments (which, if I remember correctly, were higher than our
assessments in December, 2001 and were phased in over 3 years from 2005
to 2007, so that we had low assessments as of July, 2007), our effective
assessments for City and CVCBD tax purposes went up 4% each year even
though our actual assessments were much higher.  Our effective
assessments will continue to go up 4% each year until they catch up with
our actual assessments.  So for us long time homeowners, City and CVCBD
taxes will continue to go up 4% each year for a while regardless of what
happens to our actual assessments.

Note that the effective assessments for State real estate tax purposes
go up 10% per year until they catch up with the actual assessments.

Of course, if anyone neglects to file the homestead tax credit form by
December, the tax in July, 2013 may be extremely high.

Steve