[Chat] [Discussion] Benefits District to start security patrols on 9/11

langwidge at comcast.net langwidge at comcast.net
Wed Aug 15 17:22:26 EDT 2012

Emil,

this is great.

Thanks for posting the news.

Christine Gray

----- Original Message -----

From: "Emil Volcheck" <volcheck at acm.org>
To: "Charles Village Discussion List" <discussion at charlesvillage.info>
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2012 4:24:16 PM
Subject: [Discussion] Benefits District to start security patrols on 9/11

Hello, neighbors,

The Benefits District will start security patrols on or about
September 6, with an official launch on September 11.
The program is modeled after the successful program of
the Midtown Benefits District and will use the same
contractor, BWI Management.

Originally, the Board figured we could only do this if
we got our surtax increase approved.  But the July check
from the City for surtax revenue was higher than expected,
and we finished the year with about $75K in checking.
We decided that we could allocate an additional $50K
to the program and start it in September.

We don't think we have the funds to sustain this for
the whole year, but we're hoping that if this program
is successful and well-funded to start with, that then
the Hopkins Community Partnership Initiative will
award grants to allow the program to continue.

I think this is great news for the community!

Thanks,

Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org
http://EmilVolcheck.com/