[Chat] taxes

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Thu Feb 2 17:01:04 EST 2012

Judy,

I just looked, and I paid $63.55 each year since 2009 for Turbo Tax.
That includes sales tax.  And last year and the year before, I paid
$19.95 to e-file Maryland income tax, and I would guess it will cost me
the same again this year..  So I paid about what you paid.

Since you have a house, my guess is that you itemize deductions and
cannot get by with a more stripped-down version.

One trick that goes with all of the tax preparation software is that
they will try to persuade you when you are ready to e-file to get your
refund immediately instead of waiting a week or two.  If you fall for
it,  you will pay an interest rate that is really out of sight.  Tax
refund anticipation loans are a bad deal for consumers, but they bring
in a lot of money for companies that provide tax software.  I know that
you will not fall for it, but I mention this for the benefit of others
on the chat and discussion lists.

Steve