[Chat] Suspicious Person

SLG2700 at cs.com SLG2700 at cs.com
Fri Feb 3 15:18:20 EST 2012

Judy:

It seems that the lack of response time to the 911 call was a result of a
number of factors that need improvement.  If we give the 911 Operator our
location and phone number and say that we want to speak to the officer that
will speed things up.  The officer answered the call in 5 minutes but did not
have an address or phone number for the caller.  So that is one of the
reasons why the officer did not find you or your neighbor.  The other reason is
because the officer did not call the dispatcher back and get the call back
number from the 911 operator, which she could have done.  I told him the Deputy
Major that we would continue to advise residents to provide detailed
information when making 911 calls and he promised to remind the patrol officers to
do more to locate 911 callers.

Here is what Deputy Major Worley just told me:

Sharon:

The call was dispatched and the officer gave it a code which indicated that
she was unable to locate the victim or reporting person. It looks like the
call came in from the cell phone tower at 1 University Parkway and was
dispatched to 3000 Vineyard. The officer arrived in he area within 5 minutes of
the call being dispatched and was unable to locate the caller or the
suspicious person. It seems the problem was with the wording in the call. The text
said that the caller was "willing" to speak to the officer but it did not
give a location where the caller could be located. The officer could have done
more by asking for a call back number to speak to the caller.

It seems to be a breakdown in communication that we can fix easily. The
caller has to tell the dispatcher they "want" to speak to the officer and if
they are using a cell phone they will need to give a location where the
officer can locate them. On our end, we will give the officers training at roll
call about using call back numbers. I know this is something technical but
with people wanting to remain anonymous and privacy laws the officer may err on
the side of caution.

I think as we correct these things and move on the lines of communication
will improve. We need all the help we can get and I hope this incident
doesn't discourage anyone from calling 911.

It is a work in progress but the biggest step is we have people calling. We
can always do better on our end and we will. It's encouraging that the
people not only care enough to call but they also care enough to send an email
to bring our attention to issues as they arise. We can fix them and get
better with every call and every email. Communication is the key to success and
we are definitely moving in the right direction.

Thanks for your help,
Deputy Major Worley