[Chat] ultra-local Community Supported Agriculture

Maya Kosok mayagk at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 15:01:26 EST 2012

Hey Charles Village Chat, Just wanted to pass along this info. I worked at
Real Food Farm last year and the quality of the CSA produce was
exceptional. All natural, ultra-local. Read on for more info and feel free
to get in touch if you have any questions.

Real Food Farm, Civic Works' urban farm in Clifton Park in East Baltimore,
is getting ready for a CSA season. Read on for more pertinent information!

We’re currently accepting applications! We’re increasing the number of
shares from last year, but are expecting high demand, so don’t hesitate –
here’s the application and
agreement<http://www.realfoodfarm.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/CSAAppandAgreement2012.pdf>.
[Prices, etc. will be updated on the application shortly, thanks for your
patience.]
 What is a CSA?

A CSA is *community supported agriculture* (we call it CITY supported,
since we’re right here in Baltimore City).  In a CSA program, members sign
up and pay one lump sum at the beginning of the year to receive a batch of
produce for a full growing season. Its a subscription service, adapted for
agriculture.
 Why join a CSA?

CSA members help farmers by:

   - providing funds for seeds, tools, and other materials after a long
   winter without much revenue
   - CSAs guarantee sales in a risky growing climate, allowing consumers to
   share in seasonal variances – the risks and rewards!

Meanwhile farmers guarantee CSA members:

   - Will receive a batch of produce at an affordable rate each week, with
   seasonal choices including both staples (tomatoes, salad mix) and surprises
   (peanuts? sunchokes?)
   - Members receive weekly tips including recipes and stories from the
   farm.

Prices & Details:

This is Real Food Farm’s second season. It runs for 22 weeks – May to
September. Payment is due by March 15, 2011.

Pick-up is available at: Real Food Farm, Lake Montebello Market, and other
sites TBD (based on demand).

A full share includes 6-8 items per week, $440. A half share includes 3-4
items per week, $235.  (After March 15, payment goes up to $455 & $250 )

*For SNAP & WIC Members:   *

20% OFF! There’s a $50 deposit at start of season, with weekly installment
payments. Full deposit will be returned at end of season with full
participation.

Full Share Reduced: $352 ($16/week)  *** Half Share Reduced: $188
($8.50/week) (After March 15, payment goes up to $367 & $195).
How to Apply:

*Step 1: Pick a share that works for you*

*Step 2: Apply for membership by checking to see if there are still slots
available – email us or call, and read the agreement.
*

*Step 3:  Send in this
application<http://www.realfoodfarm.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/CSAAppandAgreement2012.pdf>and
check made payable to Real Food Farm. Payment due by March 15.
*

Address: 2701 St. Lo Drive, Baltimore, MD 21213

Fax: (410)366-1831

Phone: (410)-366-8533 ext.203

Email: realfoodfarm at civicworks.com

*And here’s an abbreviated list of some of our crops this season:*

Tomatoes * Cucumbers * Onions * Broccoli * Cabbage * Leeks * Cauliflower *
Kale * Collards * Lettuce * Asian Greens * Chard * Beets * Carrots *
Rutabaga *Green Beans * Radish * Turnip * Peas * Spinach *Potatoes * Garlic
* Sweet Potatoes * Arugula * Strawberries * Fresh Herbs * Cut Flowers

--
Tyler C. Brown
Farm Manager

Civic Works