[Chat] "tin box bumpout" explained

Paul Williams oldhousehistory at aol.com
Thu Jan 5 11:17:49 EST 2012

We have two of these closets as well, but since they are in a rarely used
guest bedroom (that we don't heat in the winter), we haven't insulated them.
My dad would install a 1 inch thick Styrofoam sheet on the interior walls,
and then tape and cover the joints, and perhaps paint or paper the surface.
That should help much!

If you're talking about our front (and rear) bay window bump outs, they are
more tricky!  I'm assuming you could insert some sort of spray insulation
into the (hollow) walls.  We added rolled insulation underneath when we had
the front porch roof replaced, which has helped a lot. Since the floor is
always freezing there where the bay extends over the front porch, I drilled
about a half a dozen small holes in the floor between the joists just big
enough for the nozzle of one of those spray cans with expanding foam to fit,
and emptied the same number of cans underneath the floor: it has also helped
quite a bit.

Paul

Paul K. Williams
Kelsey & Associates, Inc.