[Chat] Radiators

Karen Morley kdmorley at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 20 09:27:51 EST 2012

I too love my radiators.  I grew up in California and no one had radiators.  When a new family moved from the east to our neighborhood, they insisted on putting in steam radiators.  We thought them very eccentric but they sure loved those steam radiators.  I moved to Baltimore many years ago and bought a house with steam radiators..........and discovered how wonderful they are.  I've lived in a lot of places and had forced air heat, in floor radiant heat, baseboard heat, and wood stove heat.....all have advantages, but radiators are coolest.  However, they do need adjusting to function properly.  When I first bought my house I bought a book by Dan Holohan called The Lost Art of Steam Heating and besides explaining how they work and how to adjust them, it contains a wonderful history lesson on steam heating.  It's an incredibly complex SYSTEM.  According to the author, a properly working steam system should be perfectly quiet. - but everything
 from the boiler, the pipes, the vents and the radiators themselves have to be perfectly balanced for that. So find a plumber who knows these systems because the clanking (water hammer) and hissing are not normal although I find some radiator noise comforting - it's like knowing an old friend is alive and kicking.   In the meantime, Eric's hints in an earlier message are excellent first steps to take. Lifting one side of the radiator solved many of my original problems. One hint from an old timer - make sure all the radiator vents are from the same manufacturer because different valves have different venting rates and you need to be able to balance them based on the distance the radiator is from the boiler.

Karen Morley
kdmorley at yahoo dot com