[Chat] Help spread the word about property tax discount!

SLG2700 at cs.com SLG2700 at cs.com
Wed Mar 14 12:41:02 EDT 2012

Mary Pat Clarke, 14th District

Baltimore City Council

Dear Leaders and Friends of the 14th District,

I need your help in getting out the word about the State of Maryland’s
HOMEOWNERS’ Property Tax Credit for our homeownership neighbors whose gross
household income is $60,000 or less a year. MAY 1, 2012, is the deadline to
apply for receiving this income-based discount on Baltimore City’s July 1, 2012,
property tax bill.

An estimated 4 out of 5 eligible homeowners fail to even apply for this
benefit. They just don’t know about it! Yet, in these hard times, the discount
provided could help prevent foreclosure.

The attachment to this email provides directions and an application for the
Homeowners’ Property Tax Credit. Please save and distribute to your email
lists and contacts. The link for these documents is:

http://www.dat.state.md.us/sdatweb/htc.html

Since many Homeowners’- eligible households do not have “online” access,
my office will provide you with informational packets to distribute which
include a cover letter and the State’s directions and application.

We will deliver these packets to VOLUNTEERS, mainly in the 14th District,
who are willing to distribute them door-to-door in their neighborhoods or set
up information tables outside election polls and at the 32nd Street Farmers
Market, shopping centers and school/community meetings. These packets are
not produced at taxpayer or campaign expense.

Please contact us for delivery of as many packets as you or your volunteers
need and where to drop them off.

Call 410-396-4814 (o) or email us at marypat.clarke at baltimorecity.gov
(Subject line: Homeowners Packets).

Please be sure we have a contact phone number.

The State’s Homeowners’ Hotline in Baltimore is 410-767-4433.

We also need VOLUNTEER MENTORS who will work one-on-one with applicants
requiring assistance. (Same contact information as above.)

Summary of Homeowners’ Property Tax Credit Qualifications:

If you own your own home and live there for at least 6 months a year;

If your total gross household income is $60,000 a year or less, including
the income of all household residents;

If your house is assessed at $300,000 or less by the State; and,

If you have less than $200,000 in savings, stocks, the value of other
properties you may own --- but NOT COUNTING the value of your own home, the cash
value of IRAs, or qualified retirement savings plans …

THEN,

No matter how young or old a homeowner you are, you may be eligible and
should file an application for the Homeowners’ Property Tax Credit by or before
MAY 1, 2012, to be eligible for a reduction of the City property tax bill
of July 1, 2012.

Summary of How the Homeowners’ Credit is Computed.

 For every level of gross household income up to $60,000, the State
establishes a maximum property tax liability. For example, if that income is
$30,000, the homeowner’s liability is $1,680, so the most the homeowner must
personally pay in property taxes to Baltimore City is $1,680. If the City’s
property tax bill is $2000, the homeowner personally pays $1,680 --- and the
State reimburses the City the difference of $320. (After $30,000, the liability
increases by $90 for every $1,000 of increased household income up to
$60,000.)

The Homeowners’ Property Tax Credit is applied after the Homestead Property
Tax Credit which, in Baltimore City, “caps” the annual property tax
increase for owner-occupant homeowners at 4 percent.

Thanks for your consideration and help!

 This Homeowners’ Property Tax Credit saved the home of a beloved member of
our family who would otherwise have lost it after retirement. No one worked
harder than she did all her life, and no one contributed more to family,
neighborhood and --- in retirement --- to volunteer hospice and hospital
activities.

Now, I am seeking the same help for neighbors in the extended family of our
14th District --- and for our neighborhoods themselves in our efforts to
preserve and promote the stability which homeownership represents. Thanks for
your own consideration and help in this major outreach effort.

Mary Pat

Mary Pat Clarke

14th District, Baltimore City Council

550 City Hall