[Chat] Shooting Friday Night

Sharon L. Guida guidahome at comcast.net
Mon Oct 15 14:12:13 EDT 2012

Stephen's analysis is correct. The incidents are not related and are not random acts of violence .  The victim from Friday night was not a resident of the area.  Homicide Unit is working on finding the assailants .  Major Tapp-Harper is in twice daily contact with Homicide downtown.  Not more can be said now because it would endanger the investigation. Rest assured that Homicide is pursuing the investigation vigorously and the Major is keeping me posted.

The CVCA Safety Committee, through  its participation on the Nuisance House Subcommittee of the CVCBD Safety Advisory Council with reps from Harwood and Old Goucher, will continue to work with the Northern District Police and the City States Attorney's Office to rid our neighborhoods of problem houses where criminal activity is occurring.  If a person with a severe  criminal history is a tenant, we will contact the Landlord to discuss whether the Landlord is employing standard criminal background checks as part of their leasing process.  If that Landlord seeks a zoning hearing on that property or another property in Charles Village, The CVCA Land Use Committee  will negotiate a good neighbor agreement with them to enhance the safety of their buildings and their leasing process as a condition to supporting their zoning request, if that request is supportable. If you would like to volunteer to help with any of that work, please let me know. So far we have identified 3 problem landlords and are planning meetings with them.

You can help by doing the following: If you know of such an address, you can start a diary with dates, times, and descriptions, of suspected illegal activity (drugs, prostitution, gambling, noise disturbances)  that you observe, 911 calls you have made, and persons involved in such suspected illegal activity.  You can deliver that information to me, I will keep your identity confidential,  and I will make sure that the address is added to our Nuisance House List for further investigation by the Police and States Attorney's office.  Depending on the nature of activity observed and the number of  arrests made at that address, the police may first visit the residents, contact the Landlord, and later bring a receive rship action to remove the owner from title to the Property.

You can also help by joining  the Neighborhood Walkers on Patrol whose walks are listed on the CVCBD website at www.charlesvillage.org .  Or by being observant on your blocks and calling 911 when you spot suspicious activity. That way, the police may be able to prevent a crime from happening. Let me know if you need an application for a crime watch number for anonymous 911 reporting.

Sharon L. Guida, CVCA Safety Committee
410-467-4409