[Chat] A scam

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Thu Feb 21 19:58:41 EST 2013

My wife Janet has provided the following description of what occurred
this afternoon:

> Around 4-5 pm today (2/21/13), a white male rang my doorbell
> requesting assistance. He is approximately 5'6", skinny, white, mid
> 20s, wearing a clean white sweatshirt with faded dark writing, jeans
> and very clean white sneakers.Hair is straight, brown,
> short.Complexion light.When I spoke to him through my security door,
> he stated the following:
>
> /He is living with relatives at 3021 Guilford Avenue, just transferred
> here from another university (I can't remember the name) to Loyola.His
> relatives are currently out of town.He had locked his wallet and car
> keys in his car and had called Lee Locksmith, but they would not help
> him unless he gave them a deposit of $16.He said if I would give him
> $16, he would return it to me as soon as he gained access to his
> vehicle.He said he was former military and no one else had answered
> their door, and that he was honest and assured me he would bring the
> money back to me./
>
> This guy was good!I am really embarrassed to say that I gave him the
> money through my mail slot.I now realize I am not going to get my
> money back.However, I am not so embarrassed that I don't want to warn
> my neighbors.Please be on guard regarding this scam!
>
> In retrospect, I think this guy may be a drug user.Teeth looked kind
> of bad, like a meth user.He doesn't look healthy, very skinny.
>
> Janet Wright
>
> 3007 Guilford Ave
>
> 410-243-1850

Janet likes to be a trusting person, but she was careful not to open the
security door.  I shudder to think of what could have happened if we had
not had a security door.  By the way, 3021 Guilford is the address of
Judge Ed Hargadon and his wife Val, and I am sure that this guy is not
one of their relatives.  If I had been there, I would have asked the guy
who his relative was, but unfortunately, although Janet knows most of
the people on our side of our end of the block, she does not know all
their addresses yet.  Fortunately, because she is a retired FBI analyst,
Janet has been trained in getting a good description of the criminal.

To my neighbors, I say to be careful.  And I have included Northern
District and Johns Hopkins security in this email.

Steve