[Chat] Water is off

Stephen J Gewirtz gewirtz at bellatlantic.net
Thu Sep 12 00:03:24 EDT 2013

At this moment, my house has no city water.  Earlier this evening, I
noticed that the water pressure was lower, but the water was still on.
Fortunately, we have some bottled water in the basement for
emergencies.  Also, earlier this evening, we saw a yellow flashing light
outside on what may have been a city water repair truck.

I did call 311.  If you press 3 after a recording tells you that it is
after hours, you get someone who is supposed to handle public works
emergencies, but she said it could be 24 hours before the water is back
on.  I was given a service request number.  She also said it was shift
change time, so information may not have been available to her.

I am on the 3000 block of Guilford.  It is too late to see whether
others on the block also have no water, so I will ask on these list
serves whether anyone else is having the same problem.

One thing I guess we all are aware of is that the water distribution
system in Baltimore is ancient, and most of it should be replaced but
will not be because of the expense.  At least I am not seeing any
flooding outside, but I may go out and take a look.

Steve