[Chat] "Extending less costly gas supplies through BGE" door-to door visitors?????

Sarah Weissman seweissman at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 19:28:38 EDT 2014

I have had someone come to my door and give me a similar pitch and ask for
my bill and it was definitely someone from an alternate supplier. I'm not
sure this guy ever outright said he was from BGE, but he didn't identify
what company he was from. I suspected that the guy wanted the bill so that
even if I didn't sign up he could change my supplier without my consent and
earn whatever commission from it (and I told him as much). Apparently a key
piece of information that alternate suppliers need to sign you up, the
energy choice ID number, is on your BGE bill (
http://www.bge.com/myaccount/choosingsupplier/commonquestions/pages/what-is-a-choice-id-number.aspx
).

This article from last year in the Sun suggests that there have been scams
in the state where people have had their providers switched without
permission:
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-11-03/business/bs-bz-retail-energy-market-20131103_1_maryland-public-service-commission-bge-electricity-market/2