[Chat] Fwd: Madama Butterfly

Crystal cver1001 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 4 15:30:58 EDT 2003

On Sunday I had the rare treat of going to the Lyric
with Chuck and Beth Bullamore to see Madama Butterfly.
I've listened to records of Azeri operas (of which I
think there are 5 in existence), but I had only been
to Carmen before this one and, among other
less-than-perfect conditions, it did not feature a
pre-opera lecture as this one did so my impression of
opera was fairly poor up to that point. Certainly,
attending with folks who know all the ropes made the
experience quite wonderful!

As the Sun article describes, this production of
Butterfly is set in a very modern style, which usually
is a pretty big turn off for me, but this time it
seemed to show the timelessness of the story --
particularly the wisdom of families that warn about
the dangers of turning one's back on one's family. It
also underscores the difficulties that people have in
cross-cultural relationships, such as my Mom, a
Scottish-English-Native American, and my Dad, an
Azerbaijanian.

The pre-opera lecture gave the audience a take-home
question: do you think Pinkerton is a cad?

What do you think?

-- Crystal