[Chat] New address overseas

william.schlegel at us.army.mil william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Tue Mar 18 21:28:10 EST 2003

Here is a short article I wrote for a newsletter at work.  I have now been told it is almost certain I will deploy on 3/20.  if that changes I will let you know.

Brad

Greetings from Fort Dix, then the desert!!

I joined the Army Reserve system in 1970, as a member of the Delaware National Guard, where I learned to climb telephone poles and install field communications systems.  In 1975, I transfered to the Army Reserve and became an Intelligence Analyst.  In 1982, I attained the rank of Warrant Officer One and, after several unit changes, attained my current rank of Chief Warrant Officer Four in 1997.  Until this deployment, I was a member of the Army Technical Control and Analysis Augmentation Detachment at Fort Meade, Maryland, where I served as the unit Security Officer and a Signals Intelligence Team Chief.

For the next year I am a member of Alpha Company/325th MI BN,
normally stationed at Fort Devens, MA.  We will be deploying in support of the 205th MI Brigade sometime before 3/31/03.  I cannot say exactly where I will be serving, but I expect there to be a lot of sand, sun, and a hot, dry climate.

I can take very few personal items with me, as I am only allowed two duffel bags and a small rucksack.  Most of these are filled with mandatory items I need to bring, to include two chemical protective suits and related decontamination material.  In case of a chemical attack, I need to be able to "mask" within 9 seconds and be prepared to put on the rest of the outfit within 8 minutes.  I will also be carrying seven 30-round magazines of ammunition for my M-16 in my battle vest, which I wear over top of my 12-pound flak vest.  After several weeks of wearing all of this equipment, I should be have shed at least 20 pounds off my body.

I sincerely appreciate all the notes of support many of you have sent me, including people I have never met.  If you want to send me a note while deployed, you may continue using e-mail, but I may not have the access that I have now.  If you want to write, my address after 3/31/03 will be:

CW4 Schlegel, William
V CORPS, 205th MI Bde, A Co/325th MI BN
APO, AE 09302-1372

Regular first classs rates apply.

My e-mail address wil be william.schlegel at us.army.mil.

Sincerely,

CW4 Brad Schlegel (the Army makes me use William)