[Chat] jury duty

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Sat Mar 22 16:55:46 EST 2003

Judy,

On Sat, 2003-03-22 at 00:04, jdy wrote:
> r  there any civil lawyers out there i could get advise from? i am on

Even if you're not sequestered, I'm pretty sure that you're not
supposed to discuss deliberations outside the jury room or conduct
your own investigations.  Even if you're just asking about how
the Law applies to a particular case, you'd be asking an opinion
of some attorney who's not party to the case.  I'm pretty sure
that's frowned on.  On the other hand, maybe you could put your
question(s) as a hypothetical, in the abstract.

It's amazing how easily an apparently simple case can become
complicated.  My wife and I had to sue for the return of our
security deposit when we moved out of Saint Paul Court Apts.
Our trial had six witnesses and lasted over 5 hours spread
over two days.  Sorry to hear that your deliberations have
become a nightmare.  All I can offer is that you should
expect things to get complicated, and to speak out in the jury
room if you think people are making decisions based on
emotions and not facts.