[Chat] Periodic News from the Palace

william.schlegel at us.army.mil william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Mon May 12 22:49:42 EDT 2003

Friends and other readers,

I have been here a little over two weeks now and things are still unsettled.  I have been living in a "cottage" on the palace grounds for about 10 days and what started as a 5 person room is now up to 9, with one scheduled to leave this week.  I have a corner next to what used to be a bureau.  The mirror blocks the glassless window and helps keep out the afternoon sun and some of the bugs (we had wasps flying in and out for a while).  some of the fellows have bug netting for their beds, but I was not lucky enough to get some issued.  If anyone has a source for a bug net, please let me know - i could use one.

I have really cut down on my food intake and that, together with my walking a mile to and from work, has shed quite a few pounds off my body.  I estimate i have list 15 pounds or more, but there is no scale here to confirm this.  Over the last week, we have been able to get a hot breakfast/lunch every other day and tomorrow this is supposed to change to every day - we will see!!  Otherwise, I eat an MRE before coming to work, have a snack during work (I'm still waiting for all the snacks stuck in the mail), and then if i don't have a hot meal after work I have a peanut butter and jelly cracker before sleeping.

Our building is relatively cool, unlike the oudoors which is now going over 100 degrees in the afternoon.  My walk to work is scenic, passing by the lakes and several nice buildings.  In the mornings on the way home i can see fish swimming and an occasional turtle.  I see and hear some neat birds, but I have no idea what they are (except the pigeons).  One songbird had a black head with a white eye.  Early last  week I passed a small flock of sheep eating some of the flowers along my path.

We still do not have running water in our living building, but we do have a shower out back which requires us to dump in 5 gallons of water before using.  My average shower uses less than 2 gallons, do that leaves a little for the next person.  Water comes from a "water buffalo" - a 400 gallon tank on wheels.  Eventually our drinking water will come from there too, though for now we are still given 3 liters of bottled water a day.

Toilets are also outside, but now in the form of the traditional outhouse, rather than the "sheltered drum" we had been using.  The drums are now inserted through the back of the privy and can be easily removed for the burn-out process (a detail of enlisted soldiers does this).

I did get a bad case of sand-flea bites, but the pain has now abated somewhat.  I use Deet to prevent a reattack, but am running low.  if anyone wants to send me some "50% or more Deet spray" you will be blessed.

There is a small chance I will home by Christmas, but I am not holding my breath.  Every week there are changes to what we do and our mission.  My work is still interesting, but very time consuming from 9PM until 6 am when my reports are due.  I still feel like a babe in the woods when it somes to some things, plus needing to delegate work is a challenge.

As before, e-mails and snail mail are welcome.  For those who lost it my mailing address is still:
CW4 Schlegel, William
V CORPS, 205th MI Bde, A Co/325th MI BN
APO, AE 09302-1382

Thanks to all for your support.