[Chat] Re: [Discussion] Location correction for Transportation issues paneldiscussion -- May 28th at 7:30 pm at First English Lutheran

william.schlegel at us.army.mil william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Mon May 19 19:30:51 EDT 2003

Ward and others,

I wish I could be there to voice my opinions about the MTA changes.  I have no problem in seeing fares raised a bit, but to double the fare of the Shuttlebug and also double the wait time will only lead to its demise, in my opinion.  The MTA should do everything it can to encourage ridership and to make switching from one mode of transit to another easy!  Shuttlebug times should coincide with the arrival of Light Rail at Woodberry station and with busses along Falls road and Roland Avenue.  Service should be extended to Remington and a new Shuttle route put in for CV which encompasses the area between Penn station and Hopkins Campus.

Anyway, anything is better than nothing, but a 30 minute schedule is essentially nothing!!

BTW, i had the opportunity to ride through downtown Baghdad yesterday.  That is an experience i would not really want to repeat, but it was unique.  There were no traffic lights, a few un-uniformed police attempted to keep traffic moving through intersections.  Cars and buses competed for lanes - yet pedestrians seemed to make better time!  Here horse or mule drawn carts share the expressways with cars and trucks.  For those not willing to wait hours in a line for gas at a station, vendors with 5-gallon cans and a hose for siphoning into liter jugs line the shoulders.  Their price is about 10 times the price at the pumps!!

Brad, who is currently cool in the Palace!!