[Chat] The Classics book discussion group

Sarah Andrew Wilson sarah at phloot.com
Sun Nov 30 18:40:47 EST 2003

I recently realized that my love of reading slowly deteriorated through
high school, college, and grad school.  I used to read a lot when I was
younger, but the pressures of "having" to read 50 pages a night in
higher education made me lose all interest in reading for fun.  Until
now!

Browsing the "classics" section of a bookstore this weekend, I realized
there are so many good books out there that I have yet to read, or that
I've already read but would understand differently now than when I first
read them: Catcher in the Rye, Moby Dick, Grapes of Wrath, Anna
Karenina, Don Quixote, and so on.  Joel and I have decided to pick a new
book every few weeks and read it separately, then discuss together.
Would anyone care to join us?  I would love to have a very informal
discussion group once a month to talk about The Classics.  Our
discussions would be laid-back with no pretense, at a regularly
scheduled time, such as the first or second Sunday of each month.

Joel and I have chosen Catcher in the Rye with which to start.  Let me
know if you're interested.

Cheers,
Sarah