Urban Legend ... Re: [Chat] News From the Palace - Birthday Edition (10/16 - 10/25)

Crystal cver1001 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 27 17:04:19 EST 2003

Sorry Brad, that Quran quote is an urban legend, see
http://www.snopes.com/politics/war/quran.asp

Here's a bit:

Depending upon which translation of the Quran one
uses, the section corresponding to chapter 9, verse 11
actually reads something like this:

"But if they repent and keep up prayer and pay the
poor-rate, they are your brethren in faith; and We
make the communications clear for a people who know. "

Another site says the verse is about repentance,
http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBUrbanMyths.shtml#quran911.

How appropriate.

detail:(http://www.shalomctr.org/index.cfm/action/read/section/simch/article/seas46.html).

> [...]
> handful several times a week, wash them off, pop
> them in my mouth, and then discretely dispose of the
> tiny seed (similar to an olive pit) inside.  I had
> some the other night which some locals had picked
> and let ripen completely - they were really good.  I
> would do the same, but my roommates might object,
> since the ripening dates might draw flies or
> rodents.  I am now saving the cleaned seeds for
> making into jewelry - they polish real well I am
> told.  The date palm is now depicted on one of the
> new Iraqi Dinar notes, as a symbol of Iraq's former
> dominance of the international date market.  Over
> 600 varieties grow here!
>
> On 9/19, I was asked to sing the National Anthem for
> the change in command ceremony for Alpha Company,
> 302nd MI BN, which my unit augments.  It went very
> well and someone even heard an explosion just as I
> finished singing "And bombs bursting in air".  It
> was quite an honor to be asked to participate.
> Unfortunately, the festivity of this ceremony was
> overcome by events of the next day.
>
> Sunday morning, 9/21, the battalion commander told
> us that two soldiers were killed and several
> seriously injured in a mortar attack at a prison
> complex about 12 miles west of where I live.  I knew
> one of the soldiers killed, though not well, and one
> of the soldiers injured was in in my own unit.  On
> the following Thursday, I was asked to sing a
> musical tribute to the two soldiers during the
> memorial service scheduled for the following day.  I
> had been thinking of what I could sing and the Pie
> Jesu, by Faure, kept running through my mind, but I
> had no music.  On Thursday afternoon, when it was
> confirmed that I would sing, I started using Google
> to look for the text and possibly the notes.  After
> about 15 minutes I found the website of Arnold
> vander Nat:
> http://orion.it.luc.edu/~avande1/piejesu.html, where
> there were not only the words and notes, but the
> MIDI file to go with it.  I cannot begin to tell say
> how thankful I was to be able to properly prepare
> Faure's moving piece
>  - so appropriate to our service.  I may not have
> given the piece full justice, but I tried, and over
> 200 people were able to reflect on it for
> themselves.
>
> As of 9/22 I am officially in a new group at IRS and
> under a new Area Manager in Cincinatti.  My group
> manager is the same, but my group members have
> changed.  I chose this option back in the Spring,
> but the decision was not final until July.  I will
> be doing the same work as before I left on
> deployment, that is why I made the choice.
> Apparently a lot of people made the same election,
> but were not selected due to their lack of
> seniority.  I am almost the senior EP person in my
> function and almost in Baltimore.  Lonnie Belt is a
> few months ahead of me.
>
> In closing, I will direct you to a few items of
> interest.  From an e-mail which said, "Saddam didn't

=== message truncated ===