[Chat] Mars viewing

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Sat Sep 6 15:49:50 EDT 2003

I'm forwarding this message from Herman:

---
Weather permitting, will set up again tonight (Saturday) across from
Eddies and a little north of Images. Please come hav-a-look! Mars will
be doable by 9pm and start to sharpen-up by 10PM. Opening act will be
the Moon, starting around 7:30PM. Questions? 410-889-0460.
Please pass along this notice. Thanks!
Herman

P.S. Anybody with their own scope is wecome to bring it!
---

Incidentally, Kathleen and I got a pretty good look at Mars
through Herman's refractor last night.  We then walked over
to take a look through the scope at the Bloomberg observatory.
I was very disappointed to find that the image there was worse
than with Herman's scope.  At Bloomberg, all I could see was
a fuzzy blob.  I think there are some academics working there
who have forgotten that the point of a Public Night is so that
the public can actually see celestial objects!  (And maybe the
undergrads who are actually running the public night and
configuring the scope simply have less experience than Herman?)