[Chat] Hausbrot

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Sat Sep 6 16:00:19 EDT 2003

I've been sampling different breads from Uptown and Atwater
at the Farmer's Market and from Big Sky at Eddie's trying
to find a rye bread made in the style of Austrian Hausbrot,
a kind of rye/wheat bread with a nice crust (but not too thick)
and a particular flavor.

I spent a year in Upper Austria for a postdoc at the University
of Linz, and I got to appreciate this common kind of Austrian
bread.  "Hausbrot" literally means "house bread".

Today I tried the Atwater Carraway Rye bread at the Farmer's
Market, and I've found a pretty good match.  This is a some
very good rye bread.