[Chat] clarify this bake sale

Crystal charlesvillager2002 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 17 00:00:36 EDT 2004

The point of the Bake Sale for Democracy is not that
Maryland will or won't vote for the Democratic
nominee. It's about people getting together and taking
the power back. It's about creating evidence that
small donations count and strengthening the chance
that you can be heard without being a millionaire.
It's about going to Iowa in the dead of winter to
energize people to take their country back.

There wouldn't be any bandwagon for people to jump on,
as Arjay says somewhat disparagingly, if somebody
hadn't gotten started somewhere. It grows out of
outrage, out of a sense of having been violated, not
some kind of "duty." In this case it was the folks who
got fed up with the Clinton impeachment circus and
founded MoveOn.org. I've been a member almost since
MoveOn started back in September 1998. Now, MoveOn is
more than 2 million people.  In 2002, the membership
(it was smaller then) donated more than $3.5 million
through the MoveOn PAC to lots of candidates. As the
Black Panthers at Bush's Inaguration chanted, "There
ain't no power like the power of the people cuz the
power of the people don't stop." Repeat.

I do think that it's a dangerous precedent to vote for
Kerry just because he's the nominee, but Bush and
Company must go. Then we can work on finding somebody
for President that we actually like. In the mean time,
I can tell you from experience that a ketchup sandwich
is still better than nothing.

:)

Crystal

P.S. Have fun at the March. If I get my class project
done, I may see you there. If not, I'll be sending
representatives.

P.P.S. I found an interesting quote from MLK:
"This hour in history needs a dedicated circle of
transformed nonconformists. Dangerous passions of
pride, hatred and selfishness are enthroned in our
lives; truth lies prostrate on the rugged hills of
nameless Calvaries. The saving of our world from
pending doom will come, not through the complacent
adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the
creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority."
—Martin Luther King, Jr., 1963, On Noncomformity
http://www.swans.com/library/art10/elib016.html