[Chat] Good news about a fraternity -- for a change

Crystal charlesvillager2002 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 19 11:31:56 EDT 2004

Last night from about 6 to 9 pm the Sigma Chi Sigma
fraternity at 3010 Guilford had a BBQ/potluck party
and invited the whole neighborhood. I had car touble
and arrived late, but it sounded like a whole lot of
folks had come by and had gotten a really positive
introduction to these fellas.

As they said and I verified on the national website,
this group is composed of gentlemen with a wide range
of temperaments, talents and convictions, who wish to
become real leaders. Anyone interested in "Animal
House" need not apply. You can read some of their
public documents at
http://www.sigmachi.org/article.phtml?iItemID=3

Reportedly, they have the largest character building
and leadership training program and also the best
retainment of alumni (about 10 times better than any
other fraternity) because they're not about just being
drinking buddies.

They had some trouble at their last party because a
group of about 20 people showed up from another
fraternity. This group refused to follow the rules and
were not admitted, but after being turned away they
made a lot of noise and apparently were responsible
for the theft of my flag and breaking a branch of my
baby maple tree.

In the future, the Sigma Chi's intend to hire a
security guard to help them -- a person with a badge
may have the extra oomph that they need to have fun
and yet keep the peace.

We also talked about the tragedy on St. Paul Street
and they said that 1) they are not into overindulgence
in alcohol, and 2) they always have sober monitors to
keep things under control during a party and also to
make sure the place is cleaned up and secure
afterward.

Sounds like they're going to make really good
neighbors!

:)

Crystal