[Chat] International Herald Tribune

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Sun Aug 8 02:28:16 EDT 2004

There are times when I've lived or traveled abroad that I would pick
up a copy of the International Herald Tribune on a foreign newstand
and get a refreshing look into news stories at home and throughout the
world, in English.  The IHT was a partnership between the Washington
Post and the New York Times, but about a year ago the NYT muscled out
the Post in its effort to extend the NYT to become a global newspaper.
I thought that was unfortunate.  It's also a sign that the NYT is
starting to put more distance between itself and the Post in the
competition to become the major national newspaper, not counting USA
Today, which doesn't seem to me to be as serious a publication.

--Emil

---
http://www.bizjournals.com/washington/stories/2002/12/30/daily21.html

January 2, 2003
Washington Business Journal

Int'l Herald Tribune gets with the Times
Jeff Clabaugh
Staff Reporter

It's a done deal. The Washington Post and the New York Times have
officially parted ways in their joint venture with the International
Herald Tribune. The Post completed its sale Thursday of its 50 percent
stake in the Herald Tribune to the Times for $65 million.

The sale, first announced in October, makes the New York Times the
sole owner of the International Herald Tribune now.

The Post and the Times had published the Herald Tribune together since
1967 and had been 50-50 partners in the Paris-based paper since 1991.

The move expands circulation abroad for the New York Times. The
International Herald Tribune, with a large expatriate readership, is
distributed worldwide and had 2001 circulation of 264,000. The paper
was first printed in Paris in 1887.
----

The outgoing CEO of the IHT railed against the NYT here:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=54&aid=17777

--
Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org