[Chat] Here's why we need MLK's birthday to be a day of service... see poverty tour

Crystal cver1001 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 9 16:31:14 EST 2004

Forwarded from Ralph. The Poverty Tour attachment
didn't work for me so I went to the original page at:
http://www.nccbuscc.org/cchd/povertyusa/tour2.htm

And the Job Teach-In announcement text is copied below
Ralph's message.

-- Crystal

Please help us spread the word that this day will be
available to folks...

Our job readiness teach-in will occur on Monday,
January 19th (the MLK Birthday holiday) from 9:00 AM
to 4:30 PM in the gymnasium of the St. Frances Academy
Community Center, 501 E. Chase Street.

We will provide practice job interviews on videotape,
resume writing, practice filling out applications,
classes on how to start your own business and general
financial literacy.  We also will have a doctor and
eight medical students here who will do health
screenings and a couple of substance abuse counselors.
 We will provide a free hot lunch to all who attend
(as we did last year, you may recall) and we'll
provide child care.

We will send letters signed by participants to the
White House, the State House and City Hall asking that
more jobs be made available to the jobless by all
available means.

The underlying benefit of this event is its focus on
an economic justice related issue: jobs, which is the
work King was involved with when he died.  We owe it
to him to keep going... The other benefit is it is a
day of service opportunity... middle class folks will
be hearing teaching folks who are jobless or
underemployed the things they need to get to a better
economic place in life.  It is in keeping with the
request of the King family that the holiday be a day
on not a day off.  Folks giving their time and talent
is how King would want to be honored on this his 75th
birthday.

For further information, call 410-539-5794, exts. 28
or 30.

Peace & justice,
Ralph E. Moore, Jr.

Dare to Prepare

What do you need to get a job?
G.E.D.?
Resume?
Job Application assistance?
Clean record?
Transportation?
Learn to Earn

Come to a Job Teach-In in honor of Dr. Martin Luther
King’s birthday and get some “Hire Education” on
 how to get a job in the Baltimore area.

“Everybody can be great, because everybody can serve.”
–Martin Luther King, Jr.

Proceed to Succeed

Monday, January 19th, 2004
St. Frances Academy Community Center
501 E. Chase Street
10:00 am – 4:00 pm

Registration will begin at 9:00 am

Child care provided, Free lunch provided.  For more
information, call 410-539-5794, ext. 28