[Chat] theft by check

Dale Ghent daleg at elemental.org
Mon Jan 26 08:31:36 EST 2004

On Jan 25, 2004, at 9:43 PM, jdy wrote:

> Hi , i had an experience where my 'check card' # was used to purchase
> stuff
> from a catalogue. the names of the businesses were on my statement. i
> called
> them. got re imbursement and the delivery address.

Paying with a credit card at some restaurants is a main cause of this.

The next time you eat out and pay by card, pay attention to the
printout you're given to sign and leave on the table. All too often,
these printouts will have your name, card number and expiration date
right on them... all the info someone needs to make a purchase from a
merchant who doesn't check the 3-digit security number on the back.

So, people sign their receipts, lay it with the pen on the table, and
walk out. Another patron (or even employee) walks along and picks it up
or copies the info down. boom, they have a gateway into your bank
account.

A few restaurants now will not print all the important info out. The
most they would print are the last 4 digits of your card number. Now,
if I go to a restaurant that doesn't do this, I complain to the manager
and try to pay in cash.

/dale