[Chat] Re: Volunteer to protect the election -- non-partisan action

Crystal charlesvillager2002 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 6 16:18:48 EDT 2004

There's a phone number to call for legal assistance, if anyone sees or has any problems voting: 1-866-OUR-VOTE (1-866-687-8683).

Stephen J Gewirtz <gewirtz at bellatlantic.net> wrote: In fact, there will be pollwatcher training for Maryland this Saturday, 10/9, 10 a.m. to noon, at Stony Run Friends Meeting House, 5116 N Charles.  It is mainly aimed at keeping an eye on touchscreen voting.  I will take the training myself although I plan to work at Waverly Library handing out ballots, and I trust the judges there to handle the election honestly.  Nonetheless, I want to be prepared in case there are problems that the judges cannot handle.  At least, I will know whom to call to report problems.

By the way, Le Monde had an article yesterday on the risks of touchscreen voting in the U.S.

Steve.

Crystal wrote:  In the last presidential election, millions of votes were never counted. Voters in minority communities were disproportionately disenfranchised through illegal disqualification, intimidation, and faulty voting machines. The Election Protection partnership needs you to stand up and defend voting rights on November 2.
Find out how you can be a poll monitor in key states by going to http://www.ElectionProtectionVolunteer.org.

http://mail.yahoo.com