[Chat] state historic tax credit

Emil Volcheck volcheck at acm.org
Fri Dec 30 21:23:30 EST 2005

Hello, neighbors,

Kathleen and I got our kitchen remodelled.  We were hoping
to qualify for a state tax benefit because some of our
improvements made the kitchen more historical, like replacing
the vinyl window with a wood frame window and putting
metal tiling on the ceiling (although we put back copper
instead of original tin).  It looks like we don't qualify
because the regulations were changed or clarified in
February 2005.  Here's a FAQ about this:

http://www.marylandhistoricaltrust.net/faq-txcr.pdf

It says that you can't get credit for remodelling your
kitchen if it was in good repair and useable.  You can
only get it if the kitchen or bathroom is deteriorated
or inoperable.

I'm curious whether anybody heard about this change?

I had gotten the impression that improvements to a property
in Charles Village with even a minor historic improvement
would qualify for some benefit.

Thanks,

Emil Volcheck
volcheck at acm.org