[Chat] Fw: [NNEHousing_BaltimoreCity] Community meeting on drug nuisance abatement legislation

Brad Schlegel william.schlegel at us.army.mil
Tue Feb 8 09:17:42 EST 2005

FYI

Brad

I wanted to invite all of you to attend and / or spread the word
about a
meeting the Community Law Center is having for neighborhood groups to
work on improvements to the state's drug nuisance abatement statute.
As
you know, this law allows either the State's Attorney's Office or a
neighborhood association to file a civil lawsuit after a search &
seizure warrant has been executed.  The law allows them to sue both
the
people actually on the property and the owners.  Most often we are
seeking eviction of a particular tenant, but a judge can order better
lighting, tenant screening, or whatever will solve the problem.

We at CLC, the Baltimore City State's Attorney's Office, and some
officers from the Police Department (especially Maj. Skinner and Jim
Greene of Special Projects) have been trying to improve this vital
statute.  Last year, two committees held hearings on a bill and seemed
sympathetic, but so much time was consumed with debates on slots and
the
state budget that the legislature was unable to vote on drug nuisance
abatement before the end of the
session.

This year we will build on that foundation.  The proposal now before
the
state legislature is in some respects stronger than last year's.  It
will clarify that the police are allowed to share with neighborhoods
information from police raids.  That information is crucial to winning
drug nuisance lawsuits.  The bill will also make clear to judges that
they can use their powers against drug nuisances at owner-occupied
homes, as well as rentals.  And it will allow people who control a
property (such as when the owner is dead) to be held responsible even
if
they are not listed on the deed.  We owe thanks for introducing it to
Delegates Virginia Clagett and Keith Haynes, and to Senators Ralph
Hughes and George Della.  Further details are in the attached fact
sheet.

We will hold an information session at 6:30 pm on Wednesday, February
16, in the Reeves Room of City Hall so you can find out more about the
proposed bill and how you can encourage your legislators to pass it.
We
do not yet know bill numbers, but we should by that time.  If you have
questions in the meantime, feel free to call me at 410-366-0922 ext.
224
or email matthewf at communitylaw.org.

And spread the word to other community activists!

Special thanks to Councilmember Mary Pat Clarke for reserving the
room.
Apologies to those in the Eastern and Southeastern Districts who will
be
at the meeting about the video cameras on Monument.

Sincerely,
Matthew A. Feigin

 Matthew A. Feigin
Staff Attorney