[Chat] Baltimore Mariner's Church

crg langwidge at erols.com
Thu Feb 17 20:01:00 EST 2005

This message was posted  on the H-Net Discussion List on Maryland History
and Culture [H-MARYLAND at H-NET.MSU.EDU]

Maybe someone can help this person.

Christine Gray

Subscribers to H-Maryland have been very helpful to me in the past, so I am
hopeful that someone might have an idea for this query. I am looking for
information on the Baltimore Mariner's Church of the 1830s.

Its preacher was Stephen Williams, who published a short essay called
"Seaman's Cause in Baltimore" in the _Baltimore Literary and Religious
Magazine_ in March 1835 (vol 1). As my research relates to the social
welfare of working-class residents in early republic Baltimore, I am eager
to locate any manuscript materials pertaining to this church or Stephen
Williams (who is described elsewhere as a "city missionary" in Fell's Point
and Old Town). While I have had luck in finding public poor relief records,
I have not been able to turn up much in regard to private charity in the
period before 1840, especially the kind of primary source records of
"visitors" who kept tabs on specific impoverished families. Any ideas about
such archival records (in church collections?) for early republic Baltimore
would be most appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Seth Rockman

Department of History