[Chat] Re: [Discussion] Baltimore Mariner's Church

Crystal charlesvillager2002 at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 20 20:53:52 EST 2005

The person who immediately comes to mind is one of the
older Jesuit fellows who lives in 3048 Guilford, but
I'll have to search my notes to find his name. He
works with seamen from all over the world, who have
shore leaves in Baltimore. Also, the van that he
drives has a symbol on it that includes an anchor.

Would this type of ministry be related?

Crystal

--- crg <langwidge at erols.com> wrote:

> This message was posted  on the H-Net Discussion
> List on Maryland History
> and Culture [H-MARYLAND at H-NET.MSU.EDU]
>
> Maybe someone can help this person.
>
> Christine Gray
>

> Subscribers to H-Maryland have been very helpful to
> me in the past, so I am
> hopeful that someone might have an idea for this
> query. I am looking for
> information on the Baltimore Mariner's Church of the
> 1830s.
>
> Its preacher was Stephen Williams, who published a
> short essay called
> "Seaman's Cause in Baltimore" in the _Baltimore
> Literary and Religious
> Magazine_ in March 1835 (vol 1). As my research
> relates to the social
> welfare of working-class residents in early republic
> Baltimore, I am eager
> to locate any manuscript materials pertaining to
> this church or Stephen
> Williams (who is described elsewhere as a "city
> missionary" in Fell's Point
> and Old Town). While I have had luck in finding
> public poor relief records,
> I have not been able to turn up much in regard to
> private charity in the
> period before 1840, especially the kind of primary
> source records of
> "visitors" who kept tabs on specific impoverished
> families. Any ideas about
> such archival records (in church collections?) for
> early republic Baltimore
> would be most appreciated.
>
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Seth Rockman
>
> Department of History
>
> Brown University
>
> Seth_Rockman at brown.edu

=====
Give the gift of relaxation to yourself
and others: A hammock or a hammock chair.
http://www.twinoakstore.com/