[Chat] Letter to Martin O'Malley

Didon Pachner pachner at worldnet.att.net
Mon Jan 17 19:27:57 EST 2005

Hi All,

If we bombard the Mayor with phone calls/letters/emails about the murder attempt
this weekend and the skyrocketing crime this past year, we might be able to get more
police in the neighborhood.

Here is a sample letter.  Feel free to use it, change it, write your own.  If you use this
one, don't forget to put your name on the bottom,

Didon

mayor at baltimorecity.gov
410-396-3835 (o)
410-576-9425 (fax)

The Honorable Martin OMalley
City Hall
100 N. Holliday Street
Baltimore, MD 21202

Dear Mayor O'Malley:

This morning the Sun reported on the attempted murder by arson of a neighbor and community activist who had been working with police to combat crime.  The article brought back horrible images of the Dawson family, murdered under similar circumstances.

Mr. O'Malley, this is only the latest crime in our neighborhood that now seems to be under attack.  In the last year, Part 1 crime has increased by a staggering 55%.  A couple of weeks ago, a woman was brutally attacked in her home.  Last week there was a shooting on our peripheries along 27th Street, and now the attempted murder of our neighbor.  When will it stop?  Almost every neighbor has a scary story of being mugged, attacked, robbed.  This is not the Charles Village we know.

We understand that this staggering rise in crime is the result of a decision to have Northern District virtually withdraw its patrols from the four neighborhoods of greater Charles Village [Harwood, Old Goucher, Abell and Charles Village].  This rapid increase in crime is terrifying and must stop.  We desperately need a sustained increase in patrols - not just for two weeks until another news story comes up.  Mr. O'Malley we need help NOW.  How many more attacks must we endure??

Respectfully,

Charles Village Resident